Because we understand the critical importance of customer support, Financial Navigator encourages users to contact us whenever you have a question about our family office software or how it works. It only takes a few minutes to ensure you are handling an issue the right way, which is far better than forging ahead and possibly creating a tangle of confusion.
You can help make the process quick and easy. By taking the following steps before you contact our Technical Support department, you could significantly reduce the amount of time required to resolve your issue.
Step 1: What’s the Problem?
Letting our support team know as many details as possible about the problem you are experiencing will speed up the process tremendously. Some questions to consider are:
- When did the problem first start occurring?
- Is there an error message that pops up in connection with your problem?
- Does the problem happen in only one specific entity or in multiple entities?
- What actions were taken in Financial Navigator (“FN”) just before this problem occurred?
- What actions were taken in FN immediately afterward (if any) to try to solve the problem?
- Do you know where your FN database is located on your system?
- Can you recreate the problem if asked to?
- How are you hosting Financial Navigator? Is it located on a local server, external server, in the cloud, etc.?
There is also some information you might need to get from your IT team, such as:
- Do you have administrative access on your computer?
- Are there any restrictions to being able to log into an FTP server?
- Can a third party, like Financial Navigator, remote into your system via GoToMeeting?
- Have any restrictions been placed on the root FN directory?
- Are your User Account Control settings as low as possible?
Step 2: Back Up Your Database
Before calling in for support, always back up your FN database, in order to save and protect your most recent work.
In fact, we strongly recommend that you routinely back up your whole FN directory. This will need to be done internally, so contact your company’s IT team if necessary. Backing up your computer’s files on a daily basis is an important practice for everyone.
Step 3: Prepare for GoToMeeting®
GoToMeeting is a web-hosted service created by Citrix Systems® for online meetings, desktop sharing, and video conferencing. Our support team utilizes GoToMeeting every day for training, support calls and to solve user problems. To make sure that logging onto GoToMeeting will be fast and easy for you, download the GoToMeeting launcher to your computer.
Now, you will be ready if we need to remote into your computer to see its desktop. If so, we will ask you to go to this website: www.joingotomeeting.com, which will present the screen below:
To start an online meeting, our customer service representative will provide you with a 9-digit code to type into the “Meeting ID” box, indicated above. We have found that using a headset via your computer provides the best sound clarity for these meetings. Alternatively, however, you can call in with your telephone, using the phone number that will be provided on the screen by GoToMeeting. Either way, you will be connected and able to show us where you are having a problem.
Your time is valuable, so we want to be as efficient as we can. By taking these three steps ahead of time, you will enable our support team to address your technical problem as quickly as possible, to get you back on track as soon as we can.